Sunday, November 1, 2009

Of Growing Up and Friendships

Dear Readers,


To those who are having their birthday today, yesterday, tomorrow, last month, or whenever, I wish you a very happy birthday. Today's post is related to birthdays.

This month in particular is full of my family's birthdays. My mum's, my elder sis, and my brother-in-law. Happy birthday to them, who are very dear to me.

I had mine two months back. It was during the fasting month, so we celebrated during iftar instead. It was my 24th birthday. Quite a number, I would say.

Some people are reluctant to mention their age. Some are proud of their young age. Me, I just don't give much care to it. If they think I'm old, that means I look mature. Sometimes respect comes along with the perception of maturity. But if they think I'm young, then that's fine to me as well. Doesn't hurt to have that feeling of self confidence.

So, it has been 24 years of life in this world. That's 24 birthdays (eventhough I can't really remember at least the first five) altogether.

Seriously, I don't really remember much on my early childhood. Do you? My memories when I was 4 was seriously fuzzy. I don't really remember what I do, what I used to wear, when did I start handfeeding myself. But I do remember a shirt that I used to wear with a picture of a watermelon on it. Still puzzles me why I wore that. Heck, I don't even like watermelons.

Maybe it has to do with some 'domestic accidents' I had somewhere around that time. But I do remember my kindergarten days. What I did (sleeping was the best, seriously). Hey, only then there was a special slot to sleep. After that, dream on dude. I remembered the maths competition that I took part. Man, the pressure during that time. It was like trying to solve an equation while someone points a bazooka at you.

I also remembered my primary school days. I was literally a gnome. How the others could be so big, is way beyond my comprehension. Nevertheless, they were good friends. How we used to talk about cartoons, and really simple stuffs. How keeping quiet during class is really a hard thing to do. Weird. Just shut up, how hard could that be. But still the classes are very 'merry'.

Then came along secondary school. Ahh, boarding school. Not to mention single sexed (gender, not intercourse, you dirty thing). All the hard-labours, and the mischiefs. But I firmly believe that those were all part of the process. It's really up to the individual, to know the limits, and the effects. But I heard it's all different nowadays. Teens, are not what they used to be. Maybe, or maybe we didn't see the whole picture back then.

University is where I learned about life more than anything else. It's a time where you're quite a grown-up, but yet there's a long way to go. Those are the times where the word 'depression' started to have a meaning. But like I said, there's much more to be learnt.

Point is, as we get older, we should, and we need to get wiser. Leave all the mistakes behind, and learn from them.

I guess that will do for a short entry. Until then, bye.


-B-

(lol fail siggy)

0 comments: